Designed and built for beginners, the Explorascope 70 AZ is a manual alt-azimuth, refracting telescope is perfect for celestial viewing on the go. The Explorascope 70 AZ can view the planets, moon and some brighter deep sky objects like the Orion Nebula. Note: Environment darkness is observed for better performance.
Setting up the telescope is a breeze. Even on your first time out, you can assemble the telescope and its accessories in just a few minutes. The total telescope kit weighs in at just 2.8 kg — perfect for impromptu observing sessions or transporting wherever life’s adventures take you.
Manual Alt-Azimuth telescope
Navigate the sky with a panning handle Alt-Az control with clutch for smooth and accurate pointing. Move the clutch (slow motion rod) in an up/down, left/right fashion to track your object in the eyepiece.
The Explorascope 70AZ comes with two eyepieces (20mm and 4mm), 3x Barlow lens, 90° erect image diagonal, and a finderscope.
- The 20mm eyepiece produces low power (35x), good in object location or aiming purposes. And great field of view and brighter for Moon viewing.
- The 4mm eyepiece is for higher magnification views, which is about 175x on ExploraScope 70.
- The finderscope helps you quickly center an object in the eyepiece for easier observing.
- For even more magnification, connect your 3x Barlow lens to triple the power of each eyepiece. Combined with the Barlow lens, this telescope provides up to 105x magnification (20mm eyepiece) or 525x magnification (4mm eyepiece). Note: Higher power may not be necessary good or needed. It's subject to the magnitude (brightness), weather conditions and user's technique.
Starry Night Software
Download Celestron’s Starry Night Software and learn about the night sky, celestial objects, and how to plan your next observing session. Celestron Starry Night Software is the premier astronomy software package on the market, providing resources and knowledge to view our Solar System and beyond. Note: Newer version of Celestron telescopes packages are no longer bundle with TheSky L1 software, but StarryNight software instead.
- Model: ExploraScope (#22101)
- Optical Design: Refractor
- Aperture: 70mm (2.76")
- Focal Length: 700mm
- Focal Ratio: f/10
- Focal Length of Eyepiece 1: 20 mm (1.25")
- Focal Length of Eyepiece 2: 4 mm (1.25")
- Finderscope: StarPointer red dot finder
- Star Diagonal: Erect image 90° (1.25")
- Highest Useful Magnification: 165x
- Lowest Useful Magnification: 10x
- Limiting Stellar Magnitude: 11.7
- Resolution (Rayleigh): 1.99 arc seconds
- Resolution (Dawes) : 1.66 arc seconds
- Light Gathering Power (Compared to human eye): 100x
- Optical Coatings: Fully coated glass optics
- Optical Tube Length: 32"
- Barlow Lens: 3x (1.25")
- Mount Type: Manual Alt-Azimuth
- Height Adjustment Range (includes mount and tripod): Aluminum, 52" max height
- Total Telescope Kit Weight: 2.8 kg
- Software: Starry Night Basic Edition, SkyPortal app